BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Diet: (noun)

A way of living, or thinking, a day's journey.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Pre and Post Workout Nutrition



I went to bed last night reading THRIVE a Vegan Nutrition Guide written by Brendan Brazier (a vegan professional ironman triathlete) and came across information on "Nutrition Before, During and Post Exercise." I was so thrilled to read this!! Now it is mentioned in the book that "The most important factor in a pre-exercise snack is DIGESTIBILITY." Following this sentence is great information on choosing the right foods for easy digestion. Brendan also says, "The ratio of carbohydrate, fat, and protein in the pre-exercise snack is determined by the intensity and duration of the activity."

There are 3 basic levels:
Level One: High Intensity, shorter time; activity lasting one hour or less.
Level Two: Moderate Intensity, moderate time; activity lasting between one and three hours.
Level Three: Lower Intensity, longer time; activity lasting more than three hours.

So for my AM Cardio Session, I put myself in the Level One category (High Intensity, shorter time; activity lasting one hour or less). My AM cardio is 20 minutes high intensity max interval training on the elliptical followed by 20 minutes cardio keeping my heart rate at 165 BPM.

Brendan says that "For short bouts of high-intensity exercise, fuel up on simple carbohydrate." The healthiest source being FRUIT. "Dates are a good choice since they are rich in glucose, a simple carbohydrate."

Pre-Workout Snack:
3 coconut oil filled Dates (coconut oil is a rich source of medium-chain triglycerides. This form of fatty acid is excellent for quick energy!)
1 banana


Post- Workout Snack:
After my cardio at the gym, I came home to have one scoop (1/2 a serving) of the Berry Flavored Vega Complete Whole Food Health Optimizer in water. (The taste gets some getting use to, but the value of it and the optimal nutrition that is incorporated in each serving has be asking more MORE!)

My post workout snack was also my re-fuel for my weight training workout.

After an intense LEG workout, I went for a Recovery Drink. I chose the P90X Recovery Drink Formula (not Vegan) which I put in Rice Milk.


All in all, I feel really good!! I have amazing energy and feel "light."

My new Recovery Snack will be a pudding recipe from Thrive :) I can't wait!!

Now it's time for breakfast!! Smoothie it is! (one hour later)
Chocolate Almond Smoothie (antioxidant-rich!)
(Recipe from THRIVE :])
1 banana
2 fresh dates
1/4 cup almonds
1 tsp ground flaxseed
1 tsp hemp protein
1 tbsp cacao nibs
100% RAW!! :)

Cheers!!!

January 12, 2010 Transformation Pics:


5 comments:

TheFitnessFreak said...

Sounds great Malynda! I'm glad to know I've been picking the right pre-workout "meal". I always drink my green juice then workout and follow it up with my green hemp smoothie. I like the looks of your smoothie too, yum!

Mwah!

Nicole

Kristen's Raw said...

Great book and great plan!!!

G.I.F.T. said...

Most definitely Nicole! I honestly would have NEVER thought to eat dates or coconut oil pre workout!! Lol But I like it!!! :))

Yes Kristen!! Thanks for giving me the book!!! You're always taking care of me!!!

Healthy IS Wealth!!!

pureglow*16 said...

Hey! love the blog! I'm a high raw vegan eater and been working out a lot now on this fitness program called shapeshifter so this will definitely help!

xo
Em

by the way I'd love if you stop by my blog sometime! (:

Anonymous said...

Why don't you use the vegan Shakeology post workout?